2014/07/02

Top 5: Favorite Poems

I quite enjoy poetry, even though I don't read as much of it as I probably should. Either way, I thought I would share five of my favorite poems.

Some of them are a little long, so I'll leave a link if you want to read the whole thing.
1. All That Is Gold Does Not Glitter by J. R. R. Tolkien
(Written as a part of The Lord of The Rings)


All that is gold does not glitter
Not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither
Deep roots are not reached by the frost

From the ashes a fire shall be woken
A light from the shadows shall spring
Renewed shall be blade that was broken
The crownless again shall be king
2. Lazy Jane by Shel Silverstein


3. Untitled by Stephen Chbosky
(Written as a part of The Perks of Being a Wallflower)


Once on a yellow piece of paper with green lines
he wrote a poem
And he called it "Chops"
because that was the name of his dog
And that's what it was all about
And his teacher gave him an A
and a gold star
And his mother hung it on the kitchen door
and read it to his aunts
That was the year Father Tracy
took all the kids to the zoo
And he let them sing on the bus
And his little sister was born
with tiny toenails and no hair
And his mother and father kissed a lot
And the girl around the corner sent him a
Valentine signed with a row of X's
and he had to ask his father what the X's meant
And his father always tucked him in bed at night
And was always there to do it

4. Alone by Edgar Allan Poe


From childhood's hour I have not been
As other were - I have not seen
As others saw - I could not bring
My passions from a common spring - 
From the same source I have not taken
My sorrow - I could not awaken
My heart to joy at the same tone - 
And all I lov'd - I lov'd alone

5. Fire and Ice by Robert Frost


Some say the world will end in fire
Some say in ice
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire
But if it had to perish twice
I think I know enough of hate
To know that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice




SHARE:
© The Book Castle | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig