2017/09/11

BOOK REVIEW:
THE JAPANESE LOVER BY ISABEL ALLENDE

Title: The Japanese Lover
Author: Isabel Allende, Nick Caistor (translator), Amanda Hopkinson (translator)
Published: 2015
Language: English (translated from Spanish)
Pages: 336
Rating: 2/5


Summary:
This is a multigenerational story of history, redemption, identity, fate and above all; love.


Review:
All right. So I knew when I picked this up, I might not love it, as I usually don't fall head over heels for love stories; and I was right. I didn't.

I don't think this is a bad book at all; it's probably a fairly good book, but it just wasn't really for me. The characters are interesting enough, the setting is very good and I really enjoyed reading about the historical and cultural parts of this story. I just don't often care about these kinds of love stories, and this was no exception.

I do think this book tries to take on more than it can carry; it discusses a wide range of different societal topics, and because there are so many of them, a lot of them are left unexplored when they really need time and space to truly be worth anything. There's a lot going on in this book and because of it, nothing really has the opportunity to blossom; it's squashed under the weight of all this other stuff going on.

This probably wasn't the best book to start with on my journey of reading the works of Allende, but I'm not as discouraged as I may seem; I think some of her other works will work much better for me, and I'll be interested to give them a go.
You can get this book at The Book Depository
You can read more about it on Goodreads
SHARE:
© The Book Castle | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig