2017/10/28

BOOK REVIEW:
BEFORE THE DEVIL BREAKS YOU BY LIBBA BRAY

Title: Before The Devil Breaks You
Author: Libba Bray
Published: 2017
Language: English
Pages: 560
Rating: 4/5

This is the third book in The Diviners series. You can see my review of the other ones here:
The Diviners
Lair of Dreams


Summary:
The Diviners set about trying to figure out how they got their extraordinary abilities, all the while a new supernatural threat in the form of ghosts are terrorising the city.


Review:
I have been waiting for this book for what feels like ages (but it's actually only been about a year) and it was wonderful to be reunited with all these fantastic characters.

There's just something about this series and this world that sucks me in; I love the setting of New York, I love the 20's with its jazz and flappers, and I love this mystical world that's created in this series. It's a joy to read about the characters and continue following them through another instalment.

The first two thirds of this book is magnificent; there's a good balance between plot and character development and you get both answers to some mysteries and new ones to solve. After that though, I have to admit, it takes a bit of a turn - the ending feels rushed and a repetitive.

As opposed to the other books, in this one we follow all the characters in The Diviners group almost equally and I think perhaps it suffers slightly for it. In the previous two books we've got the same characters but they focus more on a few of them, whereas this tries to uphold what feels to be too many storylines and it falls apart in the ending.

I have given this book a pretty high rating, which should speak for itself, but I will admit this is my least favorite book in this series so far; it feels a lot more like a setup for the next books than its own novel in a lot of ways and you don't really get answers or resolution to any of the biggest mysteries. It has made me very excited for the next book though, because there are so many mysteries now that I want to know the answers to.
You can get this book at The Book Depository
You can read more about it on Goodreads
SHARE:
© The Book Castle | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig