2017/10/14

BOOK REVIEW:
THE WASTE LAND AND OTHER POEMS BY T. S. ELIOT

Title: The Waste Land and Other Poems
Author: T. S. Eliot
Published: 1922
Language: English
Pages: 96
Rating: 3/5


Summary:
This is a collection of poetry by T. S. Eliot, including the revolutionary poem "The Waste Land".


Review:
This was a very good collection.

My only exposure to Eliot before this has been reading some of his poetry for school, which I quite enjoyed. I like his style and the structure of the poems, and the use of language is beautiful. It's easy to see why his poetry has stood the test of time so far and why a lot of people like it so much.

One of my favorite paragraphs from one of his poems is on page 49 of this collection:

Because I do not hope to turn again
Because I do not hope
Because I do not hope to turn
Desiring this man's gift and that man's scope
I no longer strive to strive toward such things
(Why should the aged eagle stretch its wings?)
Why should I mourn
The vanished power of the usual reign?

Because I do not hope to know again
The infirm glory of the positive hour
Because I do not think
Because I know I shall not know
The one veritable transitory power
Because I cannot drink
There, where trees flower, and springs flow, for there is nothing again

I did enjoy reading this, but I cannot proclaim that I've found a new favorite poet. It's one of those authors that I can completely see the merit of, but does not speak to me deeply, if that makes any sense. I think perhaps it would've touched me deeper, had I spent a bit of time studying its meaning (which I might do, one day).

I would definitely recommend reading some of his poems though; they're really quite something.
You can get this book at The Book Depository
You can read more about it on Goodreads
SHARE:
© The Book Castle | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig